Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Using GAME Plans with Students

I have a Digital Story Telling Issue before I discuss how to use GAME plans with students:
My PBL lesson is formed around persuasive writing. I can see how social networking can be a part of this, but am having trouble seeing digital story telling fitting in. My students are researching a problem in the school or community. I am grouping them based on similar issues and using wikis for them to share information and discuss potential arguments. My school will not allow me to use an outside wiki that community members could access to join in the discussion, so I am encouraging my students to contact community members via email. When the students write their essays, I am having them out together persuasive presentations for a panel made up of school and community leaders. Could this part be digital story telling? It is not really a "story".

GAME Plans for students:
So many of my students have difficulty problem solving. Sometimes, some of them just want someone to give them an easy answer. Others want to do more with their learning, but do not have an organized plan of attack. Teaching them the process of a GAME Plan could be quite useful. For projects, I could start students out with a GAME plan outline. Under "action", they can fill in the tools they will use to achieve their goals. The tools will be different forms of technology.

2 comments:

  1. When I realized that many of my students desperately needed a practical organizational tool, I decided to incorporate the GAME plan approach into my instructional practice. As a result, many of them have started to feel more comfortable with problem-solving activities by reducing large tasks into smaller units. As with yours, some of my students also tend to give up too easily when they face challenges and difficulties; consequently, the GAME plan approach has been extremely beneficial. I’m also delighted that parents like this plan as it helps students to be more organized with materials and with time management.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon,
    I think digital storytelling would be a good fit for persuasive presentations. It lends itself as a total package in terms of narration, background music and a series of images to communicate information. I think the aim of stories is to change the minds of viewers and your project sounds like the best kind of story.
    Nanci

    ReplyDelete