Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Using Collaboration and Problem-Based Learning

As I think about my goals for technology use, I think I am successfully meeting my goal to use digital tools to collaborate with colleagues. I need to extend this to help my students do the same thing. I am limited by my school's policies, though. In a staff meeting, we were recently told that we are not allowed to have students post on wikis, blogs, or any other web sites that are not directly run by our school. It was infuriating to think how much we are limiting our students with this parochial attitude. So, the only collaboration I can have my students do is with each other. My school does have a Moodle that is a district wiki. I will have my different periods use it to collaborate with each other. That way, they at least are working with potentially 126 students, rather than just the 27 in the individual class periods.

As far as my problem-based learning goal, here in northeast Ohio, the snow has brought us to a standstill. Hopefully, next week, my students will begin researching the problems for their persuasive essays.

1 comment:

  1. Shannon:

    In spite of the challenges, I think it’s great that you have decided to use your district’s wiki. By providing a safe environment, your students are able to practice how to write collaboratively, how to use appropriate online etiquette, and learn to be confident self-directed learners. As another snowbound teacher, I’ve been able to keep in contact with some of my students by posting assignments, discussion prompts, and links to other websites on our class webpage. It’s wonderful!

    Good Luck!
    Karla

    ReplyDelete