Wednesday, January 20, 2010

How to Meet the Technology Standards

As I consider how to reach my technology goals, I need to make them more concrete and less abstract. The second step to do that is to figure out what resources and information I need. The first step is to identify what I already do, like using a KWL chart.

I already collaborate and communicate using digital tools. I email daily with colleagues, parents, and students to help my students with their learning needs. I also maintain a web page through my school's web site. My page has information on major projects and PDF files of class notes related to the projects, as well as a link to an online version of our textbook.

To further my development in this area, I need to add other educational blogs and sites to my RSS reader and keep up to date with reading them.

My second goal is to engage students in exploring real-world issues. A resource I can use for this is my school's librarian. She is very helpful and can guide me in finding other resources. I plan to have my students write persuasive essays on current issues. The essays will be sent, electronically or via post office, to real audiences. I will need to access local news to help students find topics.

3 comments:

  1. Shannon,

    You seem to have a good grasp of how to make progress on your game plan. Having a concrete and reasonable goal to work towards will help you make progress.

    I think its great that you have a web site that your students can access. Do you update it daily? Also, I was wondering if your students help you maintain and update your website? I am working on making one myself and would like to visit some web sites designed by teachers as examples.

    The RSS feeds are an amazing way to stay updated. I agree that you need to set a goal to ACTUALLY READ them. Sometimes I don't get around to it and feel overwhelmed when I see that so much has gone on! How do you manage this? Is it a regularly scheduled part of your day or week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon:


    I’ve found great projects on the global school network. I’ve been able to tailor my search to find current and future projects and ideas. I’ve modified and integrated some of the project ideas to match my curriculum and my classes look forward to share their experiences. Hope this helps.

    http://www.globalschoolnet.org/GSH/pr/search.cfm
    http://college.cengage.com/education/pbl/project/project.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly and Karla:
    Molly,
    I am the only one to update my web site. I only update it 3 or 4 times each 9 weeks. That is all I can manage time for. I basically just write down reminders to update when we have new significant information on a project. I still use a traditional paper and pen planner for that. There's something about physically writing things that helps me remember better than using technology for this. (my kinesthetic learning coming out, although I am primarily visual)

    I do use wikis as study guides for novels.
    Those are student maintained.

    Here's my web site if you want to check it out: http://marlingtonlocal.org/cms/index.php?page=mrs-lowmiller-2

    Karla,
    Thank you for the web site.

    ReplyDelete