Saturday, January 30, 2010

GAME Plan for Technology Standards, Continued

I have just started a unit with my sophomores themed around civic responsibilities. We read a short story based on a real natural disaster. It is about a village that was destroyed in an avalanche. One girl was found buried in mud up to her neck. The rescuers were unable to pull her out, and she died after 48 hours. In the fictional story, a reporter puts down his microphone and camera to try to save her. He spends 3 days with her, finally accepting that he can't save her but doesn't leave her side, so she doesn't die alone. This unit includes 2 persuasive articles advocating a need for protection of good Samaritan acts in our country.

This unit directly relates to my goal to engage students in exploring real-world issues. I would like any suggestions about how to make the issues as relevant as I can to my students. I did show some pictures of Haiti, Hurricane Katrina, and other recent natural disasters while we listened to part of the story as an introduction to the unit. Later, they will write persuasive letters on current topics important to them. Just brainstorming here: Would a threaded discussion on issues be a good way to help them see a variety of viewpoints? What web sites exist that have discussions on current controversial issues? Maybe I need to find blogs to access. I could group the students from all 5 of my classes into same topic groups and have them contribute to a wiki discussion with each other to help them develop arguments for their letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment