Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Social Learning Theories

Is all learning social? According to social constructivist learning theory, people create meaning through interactions with others and their environment. In an instructional video, Dr. Orey explained two main concepts that are important to social learning theory: the zone of proximal development and a more knowledgeable other. The zone of proximal development is the point where a student is ready to learn. They have the basic concepts needed to build new knowledge on, and with help, are ready to expand their knowledge. The more knowledgeable other is someone who understands the next level of knowledge and can help a student learn the concept. That person can be a teacher, a peer, a parent, or, as Dr. Orey suggests, possibly a computer. It seems that it would be very difficult to assimilate new knowledge without help of some sort. I would argue that using technology as an individual, some can learn new knowledge without others, but that technology becomes the "more knowledgeable other", according to the definition of social learning theory as elaborated by Dr. Orey.

Cooperative learning is a teaching technique that utilizes social learning theory. When students are placed into small groups and given a "significant question or meaningful project" to contend with and then assessed as a group as well as individuals, that is cooperative learning as defined in the online book Emerging Perspectives on Learning, Teaching, and Technology ( http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/). In Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works, the authors recommend using informal, formal, and base groups. These structures directly use the social learning theory. Using an informal group for something like Think-Pair-Share requires students to talk out and discuss what they have learned from a lesson with a partner. They can give each other immediate feedback, creating a social interactive environment. The more knowledgeable other would be one of the pair or the teacher as he/she listens in to discussions.

More formal groupings where students are tackling a problem or project is also a situation where they interact to learn. This needs much planning to be an effective social learning experience. I have used cooperative learning many times, but struggle with getting all students to participate fully. There have been times that some groups will look to me as the more knowledgeable other instead of learning from each other. I need to reorganize how I run those lessons. Chapter seven of Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works gives a short description of components need to make cooperative learning groups successful, but the online book Emerging Perspectives on Learning, Teaching, and Technology describes what is need much more in depth and I think will help me more in implementing effective cooperative learning experiences. The Cooperative Learning section, pages 5-8 is a very valuable resource.

5 comments:

  1. Using cooperative learning groups is often a struggle! I know of many instances where the groups did not work as a group and all students did not carry their weight. How do you handle this or address it? Do they all get one grade based on everone's input or do you grade individually on each one'e part. This is not an issue with my students, since I teach first grade. My students work together, but never for a grade. They do seen to enjoy the sharing and discussing. I can really see how it is beneficial to my lower level students. Do you find this to be true with your students?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the time, they work together to take notes and it is not graded. When I do have something they produce for a grade, I require that the paper or item be passed around the group for everyone to physically contribute. I also assign roles within the group to assure that all participate. I have discovered in this week's reading a better way to encourage group cooperation. I will be using rubrics with an individual and group grade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also run into the problem where the students in some groups would like me to give them the answers... I've had luck telling them that I won't be helpful today, and that they will have to use their team and resources for answers, and sometimes I allow groups to ask one or two questions, and that's all. I've also found that making sure they are all comfortable with each other makes a huge difference, so whenever I make new teams, I first have them shake hands and formally introduce themselves, and then we do some sort of game - like two truths and a lie, to break the ice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dianne. I have heard about two truths and a lie before and forgotten it. That is a great way for new groups to get to know each other and become more comfortable together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if I got the idea from you in another course, but I used the two truths and a lie activity with my class. I was a first year teacher and I love hearing from everyone on our discussions.

    Also, I strongly believe social learning is a major aspect of the learning that takes place in my classroom and hopefully in many others. People learn from each other, no matter the age, and I believe that we need to provide our students with the opportunity to participate in this type of learning.

    I enjoyed reading your post. Very insightful!

    ReplyDelete