Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Cognitive Learning Theory Strategies

My understanding of cognitive learning theory is that it is about how we process information. In communication classes I have taken, I have been taught that as a public speaker, one wants to make between three and seven main points in a speech. Seven ideas is about the most people can focus on at a time. This idea was reinforced by Dr. Orey in his discussion of cognitive learning theories in a Laureate published educational DVD. The carry over to the classroom is that teachers should keep lessons focused on seven or fewer items.

Using cues, questions, and advanced organizers can help students focus on those seven or fewer items, and not become sidetracked by extraneous information. These techniques are explained in Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works. I post weekly cues in my room as a schedule. I write a short description of each day's lesson with a focus on the skills, or learning objectives, the students are trying to master. That way, they know exactly what they are supposed to be learning each day. By explicitly telling students what they are going to learn about, one is helping them through the first stage of information processing, paying attention.

Dr. Orey described three memories: declarative, procedural, and episodic. Each of these help students retain what they learn. Advanced organizers such as rubrics are very useful tools for helping students organize information so it can be processed in their declarative memories. The example rubric explained in chapter four of Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works outlined an English lesson. The students studied sonnets and the Elizabethan period. To make the declarative information of this lesson concrete, the teacher used Excel to create a rubric outlining a sonnet the students had to write. This lesson used elaboration, making connections for the learning objective in more than one way: they read samples, discussed them, and wrote their own.

Using virtual field trips activates episodic memories, the strongest kind of memory, according to Dr. Orey. When the students can see a place online they can not actually go to, it creates a concrete experience that will help them retain the information. The anatomy teacher at my school has used a distance learning lab to have her students watch an autopsy. Could an episodic memory be any more vivid than that? I do not know if she used an advance organizer, but one with a focus on key concepts for students to fill in as they watched the autopsy would help the students with their information processing of the experience.

One last point I really relate to, since I am a strong visual learner, is that using meaningful visuals to associate with key concepts is taking advantage of the dual coding theory explained by Dr. Orey. PowerPoints, charts, and tables are well-adapted technologies to take advantage of this theory. When I explain ethos, pathos, and logos to my students in a persuasion unit, I use a PowerPoint with the term, its definition, and a visual. I also encourage them to use mnemonics to remember what each term means, elaborating the ideas in their minds. One example is ethos. The slide with it has a picture of a man in a prison uniform as well as the definition of the term. Ethos is building your credibility as a persuasive speaker or writer. I need to add a picture of a business peron also to show a contrast of who we trust. I tell the students that I remember ethos sounds like ethics, doing what is right, being trustworthy. This lesson uses an advanced organizer, dual coding, and elaboration.

4 comments:

  1. Shannon, I really enjoyed your post. You elaborated so well about all of the theories that Dr. Orey discussed. I think your summary of all really explains things well.

    I agree with your descripton of the visual learning. I really feel that students need opportunities to experience learning in many ways. Visual learners need to have these opportunities, but so do other students. I learned a long time ago about the importance of creating lessons that touched on varying rates of students and styles of learners. Allowing for visual, auditory, and kinestetic learners reinforces to all whatever you are presenting. Using pictures with vocabulary does establish the dual coding that was mentioned. Working technology into lessons with concept mapping and summarizing will reinforce skills as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon,

    You have given quite a comprehensive overview of our resources this week! Nice! I think many of us already use graphics and connections to prior knowledge as a habit in our classes. It is clear that the more senses that are involved in a situation, the more processing happens. As a science teacher I think using labs is an excellent way to assist students in processing. Having said this, many labs can be meaningless if students do not have an advance organizer to help them stay focused and comprehend the content in the desired way.

    I like the connection you make between Ethos and ethics... helping students make these kinds of connections will benefit them as a skill in the future when they need to decode unfamilar words on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon,

    Your post is great! It brings in all of what we studied this week, and summarizes it very well.

    It is interesting that public speaking classes tell you to make between three and seven points in speeches. That does tie in perfectly with what Dr. Orey said about short term memory.

    I am a strong visual learner, as well, and often use pictures as you do with ethos. Hearing Dr. Orey explain dual-coding was quite an "aha!" moment for me. I think I intuitively dual-code lessons, because that's what I would need, but when he explained it, it made it clear why I do that, and why I should continue.

    As a strong visual learner, do you also feel that technology is making it possible for us to reach the visual learners in our classrooms more effectively than ever before? I am very pleased with what I have been able to do so far with just an interactive white board. Learning about so many new strategies will enrich our classrooms greatly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trina,
    I completely feel that technology has helped reach visual learners better then ever. Last year when my SMART Board was mounted on my wall, we were having a discussion where a student brought up an unique animal that no one else had heard of, including me. I was able to quickly bring up an internet picture and project it to clarify everyone's questions. How can you get on the spot immediate feedback like that without technology?

    ReplyDelete